Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 1, 2018

LIfe Without Cable

So, one of the things we did when we moved here was when we signed up for phone, Internet, etc.... was to opt out of cable TV. We have the most basic - about 10 channels of which 6 are infomercials 24/7. One of the reasons we did this of course w as cost, but the main reason was what everyone complains about - I'm paying for 200 channels and I only watch 3. And that's true, isn't it? We watched: The Big Bang current and reruns, home and garden, and well, more home and garden. What we found we watched mostly was Netflix and Hulu, we also had a Prime account with Amazon that we never thought of using. So we did. We cut the cable and retained those 3 services for a total of about thirty bucks a month, as opposed to over a hundred.

It changes your viewing habits, we still watch home and garden shows, but now we've added in the international ones from Britain and other countries. You find yourself binge watching a lot - because you can. I recently discovered NCIS of which there are a gazillion episodes. Catfish I love and if you ask me why, I have no idea. It's a full hour which generally leads to disappointment, the guy that thinks he's been chatting with a beach babe usually finds out he's fallen in love with a 50 year old guy named Sam who was bored. I've seen the bad landlords of England, the over the top renovation in Australia, documentaries, on and on. But I guess the real question is - do I miss cable?

A little I suppose. With the online services you have to hunt around for anything new, all the latest episodes you have to  wait for. There's a lot of just stuff I suppose, Korean soap operas, etc... that is just not interesting. But that can be said for cable too. And it does takes some getting used to, but in the end the money we've saved over the past year far outweighs the benefit of being able to watch the latest episodes when everyone else does. And I've also discovered if you don't see it, you don't miss it. So, we'll stay with the Internet services.

No comments: