Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 15, 2019

My Very Own Luddite

Lud·dite
/ˈlədˌīt/
noun
  1. 1.
    DEROGATORY
    a person opposed to new technology or ways of working.
    "a small-minded Luddite resisting progress"
  2. 2.
    HISTORICAL
    a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woolen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).

David and I have been battling for awhile over this subject of technology - he announces on a regular basis he does not have time to figure this stuff out, that he is too busy with the house, etc..... not the first person who has handed me this argument and will not be the last. Now let me make this clear - it has nothing to do with intelligence, David  can calculate square footage in his head, he often tangles with real estate agents and lawyers as he pushes our buys and sells through. If you ask him about real estate law or how to close a sale he can sing that to you chapter and verse. So it's not a matter of not being able to do so much as a matter of not WANTING to do it. That normally turns into a round robin of an argument - he will say "It's not a big deal" , so  I'll retort " Then you should have no problem doing it!". It's more annoying than anything to tell you the truth. 
A couple of weeks ago he called me at work to tell me he needed to send a signed copy of some paperwork to the RE and he said "Can I email it to you, then you can email it to your work address, download it, sign it for me, scan it and then email it back to the RE?". Um. No. I pointed out I was at work which has nothing to do with real estate and I doubted my boss would be on board with it, but also we HAVE a printer, multiple laptops and tablets at home, not to mention he has a smart phone.He huffed and decided we could sign a hard copy when we met with the RE out at the house. He has also done things like be working upstairs but will come down and look for me to go upstairs to take a picture, then put it on his Face book. 
No. 

He has gotten a little better lately, more from the fact I'm quite prickly when he asks rather than from any sort of desire to learn how to do it.And he uses the Alexa quite often, to spell words, play music, call our kids, etc.. There are some things I don't mind doing, we both read a lot so since I hold the the account I'll add the books to his ereader. I also have an Overdrive account which I can find books for him too. I love Overdrive by the way - you have to have a library card to use the app and if it's something popular you have to wait ( just like a physical book). You borrow the book for up to 3 weeks and at the end it just returns itself to the library! And better yet, you can borrow audio books which I use when I drive all the time. If you don't like the book or you finish early you can just return it and find something else. The down side is they don't have everything but that's fine - if it's something I can't wait for or they don't have, I buy it - otherwise I wait and it's free!! And it accesses all the local libraries so you can always find something to read or listen to. But I digress. David has taken some little steps and he is getting better but he's being dragged kicking into the 21st century. 

No comments: