Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 17, 2021

How's The Weather

So, last night as we were sitting around the fire pit in lawn chairs drinking hard seltzer and eating appetizers I said to Kim I can't believe it's the middle of January. The grass is green. We're wearing hoodies and no shoes. How can it be January. It's not summery by any stretch of the imagination, but stays in the mid 50's most days - and the past few days have had some wonderful sunshine. But the rain! Ugh. This time of year most days  it either looks like it's going to rain, is raining or is sopping wet from all the rain. But, we assure each other, at least it's not snow. It does take some getting used to, this past week I had to keep reminding myself we're still about 2 months away from early spring, that we still have the rest of January and February to get through and it most likely will snow at some point. But even that - did you know my office closes if we get TWO inches of snow?? If I was back east I would be out of the office until April. We are here about 18 months now and my winter coats are still stored up in the attic of the garage, I think I wore the brown one twice last year, maybe twice. David mows the lawn year  round, not a lot in January and February, but he does it.  

The rain has been a lot lately, even for here. All the fields around our house are flooded, the cow pasture across the road is a 10 on the Stinkie-Poo scale when the wind is blowing this direction, everytime they walk to the feeder they churn up the poopy muck - Bee loves it though. She thinks it's ambrosia and sniffs deeply of the Poofume - I shallow breath and walk fast. I've been walking her on our road for the most part without a leash and she's good 70% of the time. The other 30% is us having a standoff in the middle of the road with me saying COME and her inching the other way. She knows what I want - she will stand there staring at me, then take a couple of steps in the other direction, stop when I say her name... but she's obeying more than she's not and she is only 3 months so there is that. And for the most part is pretty well behaved.

Last night we had dinner at Kim and Stephen, we had a pre-birthday celebration as he is turning 60 this week! Then in April I turn 60 - its that kind of year. Due to COVID of course his birthday got toned down, Kim's hoping to do something later in the year but for now it was just us. We bought him super expensive beer - this area is IPA intense and you can actually buy beer that's more expensive than champange. We had a fun dinner and since it was so nice out Steve fired up the fire pit and we stayed outside until dark. Bee had a ball racing around (their backyard is fully enclosed) and being a general pain. She can't play with Piggles too much now, she is 4 times his size but still a puppy and she plays too rough. So her time with him is heavily supervised and short, like a prison visit I suppose. It was so nice to sit outside, a little chilly but so sunny! Hopefully the rest of the winter will pass quickly. 

 

No comments: