Total Pageviews

Friday, March 18, 2022

Happy Birthdays

So. Jackson and Amy were supposed to be arriving the Wednesday before, David and I were driving up Friday morning.  I got a text from Jackson Thursday evening asking if we were going to be driving by Seattle  and could we pick him up??- I was a bit confused but no. We had planned on dropping the dogs off near Astoria in the morning, toodling across the Big Ass Bridge and then driving up the coast. We have looked at places on the internet and this was our chance to physically see them - but Seattle would be a 5 hour drive from where we were dropping the dogs off and he would be sitting for hours. Turned out Jackson's military flight out of GITMO had been pushed back so he was still in Norfolk and  stressing. As I was texting with him I was calling on David's phone and got his reservation for the shuttle to Whidbey. If you ever need to do this Sea-Tac shuttle is wonderful and so helpful - and yes I remembered the rep's name and gave her a glowing review. I got him all set up and emailed his reservation so he was good to go.  I asked where Amy was and she was stranded in Italy til Monday. When she hit the airport she tested positive for COVID of all things! No symptoms but had to cool her heels for 5 days so she was delayed til Tuesday. We were disappointed, I would have loved to have seen her and met her mom, but I guess that will be later down the road.

We dropped the dogs off at the dog resort (seriously, it IS the dog resort!) where they get hugged and petted - and off we went. We drove through all the small towns keeping off the highway and hugging the coast line. We saw Raymond, Aberdeen, Grays Harbor, it was so much fun! We had an early dinner at Port Townsend and got to do a bit of walking around .I went to the yarn shop but I didn't buy anything. I have stopped buying yarn, once in a blue moon but at this point I have what I need and just don't have the desire to add to it. We caught the ferry and were at Brandi's by 5:30 - it was so great to see Jackson! The girls were beside themselves of course and we spent the evening catching up. After the girls went to bed the presents came out, Brandi and Jackson decorated - the girls are at the age that they are very big into celebrating and they did not disappoint! This was the year of My Little Pony and Sailor Moon - as they get bigger their toys get smaller. In couple of years it will be electronics and gift certificates so we are enjoying it while we can. Candle were blown out and wishes made. They're six now. 

We ordered pizza for dinner and spent the evening just enjoying family, these are the times I'm most grateful for moving out here - we no longer miss holidays or birthdays. No more peering into a screen - we're here! We spent the morning and then left around noon, we had planned on leaving a little later but Jackson and Brandi were taking the girls out to do stuff and we didn't want to hold that up. As much as we love seeing Jackson we also know that his time with Chloe and Delilah is limited and he needs to be able to spend time with them. I also had work the next day so we went to Coupeville and believe it or not - made the earlier ferry by 10 minutes - we got in the standby line and they squeezed us and two more cars on - so we got home a little after 5 instead of a little after 8 - made getting up for work easier. David picked the dogs up the next day  and Amy made it on Tuesday - I wish we could have seen her but I'm glad she made it. 

We will be taking the girls for spring vacation the first week of April. I work from home two days a week but David will have them solo the rest of the week. They're more than old enough and I cannot keep using all my vacation every time they come as we're planning on taking them a few times during the summer. I wish the vacation was the same time as Easter but Brandi will be coming down here - we'll do Easter dinner on Saturday and then egg hunt and brunch on Easter so they can get back home in time work and school. Jackson and Amy are here for another week before they fly back and Jackson will be stopping at Grandma Connie's before heading back to GITMO. I'll be so glad when everyone is done with their overseas deployments and we are all back in the US. 


 

1 comment:

Donna. W said...

Kids grow up so fast! They are lovely little girls.