Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 28, 2022

Grow Away Little Girl

Since March I've been experimenting with gardening - a couple of things have sparked this interest. In December I moved into another position at work which keeps me busy but I also now have more free time on my hands. I work from home two days a week and that means no travel and I can spend my lunch hour pottering in the garden. The other reason is why everyone else has a sudden interest - prices. David and I spend about $80  to $100 a week in vegetables and given the financial state of the world these days - it will not get better anytime soon. So, I thought I'd let you know what I've figured out in my horticultural travels. First off, I have inherited my Grandparents green thumb.
Hooray. 
Hydroponic Gardening - my first outing - I researched units and found some horrifyingly expensive. What's the point if I'm spending a thousand dollars (or more) on growing $50 worth of lettuce? Amazon has some cheaper versions, the one I bought holds 72 plants, the net cups and sponges, came with a pump and cost $114. You can also DIY with PVC pipes but the labor and cost end up being about the same. The unit came with almost no instruction so I Youtubed it.  I checked out lighting at the local shop and  nope - $500 to $1000 for a basic set up - $80 Amazon. I bought a seedling heating pad ($14) and trays ($12) plant nutrient mix ($15). Discovered old tissue paper ($0) works just as well as special growing paper. So. I bought rock wool to replace the sponges, it's biodegradable - I'm not sure if the sponges are reusable. I planted zucchini in the hydro unit and it's growing great guns! but it takes up a huge amount of real estate covering my other little plants. So far I've counted about a dozen little zucchini, the rest are pretty new seedlings.  But in the end everyone is growing well. The only issue is pollination, since the unit is outside not a problem but if it's inside you have to do it by hand. Which was not hard at all. You Tube. I change the water once a week, my reservoir is a 10 gallon black covered tote ($6) and you have to keep it out of the sunlight or you get algae. Algae will take all the oxygen out of the water and kill the plants. 


Dutch Bucket -  I'm doing this passively right now - you can buy a set up with a pump which works like the hydro unit but it's more expensive ($225 for 6 with a pump) and it takes up a lot of space. I do have a lot of Amazon points though.... but for now since I'm still figuring it out I'm not investing in something that may not be workable. So. 4 inch net cups ($12 for 25), clay pebbles ($11 for 2 pounds which is a lot), 5 gallon pail with a lid from Lowes ($7.50). I'm using the Kratky Method for this which I'm loving. I took a plant from the hydro unit, in the cup with the clay pebbles (for holding it upright and aeration), David cut a hold in the lid for the cup to sit in. Add plant nutrients, fill to the top, pop the top on and that's it. I explained the Kratky method below.

Raised Garden  - David built these (about $500) - we spent more because it will be a permanent structure. David also had to put a fence and gate because Bee and Dutch were using them for playing King Of the Hill and would not stop. Bastards. We got a load of topsoil for the yard anyhow to fill a dip and we had the rock left over from the driveway, easy peasy. I had seedlings started, seeds, etc... I bought belles, lavender and hydrangeas for the middle garden to attract the bees for pollination and a couple of started plants at the small nursery down the road.  Since I started quite a few seedlings I have most of it filled, I have another set of seedling started and they will probably go in next week.  I've also inspired some neighbors to start their own gardens, one waved at me yesterday and shouted rather cheerily "we're copying you!" so my efforts are not going un-noticed. 

The Kratky Method -  this is the addictive one. I've got 3 going, rock wool ($12 for 100) or net cup and any light blocking container ($0). I have 3 so far using a kombuca bottle, a yogurt container and an old hydrogen peroxide plastic bottle.  Same as the Dutch Bucket - the way it works is you put your seeding in and fill to the top. As the plant uses the water the space left provides the air to the plant and gets the roots to grow to reach. You just need to add it occasionally and you can use a container depending on the size of the plant you want to grow - I will be using the Dutch Bucket for zucchini in the future. You can only do one plant per container (unless you use a tote sized one ) so it can look kind of junky. 
The whole reason I'm experimenting is I'm planning on year round gardening. David will be finishing the green house and I have the big lights  - FYI look on FB marketplace, Craigslist, etc.... failed growers sell that stuff for nothing!! The only downside is everything smells vaguely of pot. But I bought about $1500 dollars worth of equipment for $75 so no complaints here. So far I've been pretty pleased with my progress. 
 

No comments: