Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Keeping Occupied

See
I got money for Christmas, but the sad thing about getting older is your need - and want of stuff seriously decreases. You still want big stuff - the second home, the Porshe, the Bahamas in winter.  But the general crap of my 20 and 30's is meh. Part of it is where I live, between a Gabes in every town and a ton of stores I can get anything in any color 50% most of the time. But there are only so many office clothes you can wear and when I'm home, well the cows don't care about my fashion sense and I don't care what the stupid neighbors think of course. I pretty much much blew my money on yarn, ebooks and, well, I still have the rest of it. David and I stopped years ago buying gifts for each other. We go out for a day a couple weeks after and have lunch and go shopping. I eventually find something I want. The eReader has changed my book buying, I bought a couple series and the latest ones, but even that was a low roar. I have more books than I can read now,adding more is not helping. The weather is perfect for reading, the temperature has been horrible. Yesterday my car read -6 as we were tooling along. It warmed up to a big 30 today, I am complaining a little but not too much. Up until now it has not been too bad and really spring is not far that off. We did a little house peeping today, nothing serious since the Bridgeport house is still in the pending file, but it's fun to see what's out there. The internet makes it easier to find houses but it's criminal the poetic license real estate use with the pictures. The house was on a couple acres. Outbuildings, pool, bucolic and straight out of a John Denver song. We sat in the driveway arguing if it was occupied. A call to the RE - estate sale. As we came up the driveway it became less John Denver and more Janis Joplin. Every door on the outbuildings hung open, the above ground pool had not held water recently. The siding and decking were suffering from rot or termites. I got out of the car while David talked to the agent,went around back for a little window peeping. Tried the door - not locked!! But David did the Felony Speech so I stayed out. I was able to see they had a huge hole in the floor and had pulled up the carpeting.  You don't do that unless there's a good or a bad reason. It also had a well and I am a super not big fan of wells, in my experience with Wells is they tend to dry up or get funky. When the power goes out you're out of water too. Our house must've had a well at some point because downstairs in our little root cellar are jars and jars of stored water, neatly standing ready for disaster. I don't have the heart to get rid of them. On the house that we looked at -we are gathering more information but it is most likely a no go, the rot is not fixable and even if it is, you would also need to fix the source of the rot and I'm pretty sure thathat is a horrible issue. So on we go. Right now the one house is uunder ontract and the other movinguys along so we will be window shopping for awhile

No comments: