Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 14, 2019

Exploring Hillsboro

We try to pick a destination every couple of weeks to explore the area, like when went to Brandi's a few weeks ago I booked the later ferry so we could spend some time walking around and eating out. Other times it will be to look at something we need to buy, a local attraction, I may even a have a coupon for a store and we'll go to the one farthest away. This week we went to Hillsboro which is a small city outside of Portland. Kim and Stephen used to live there before they moved to Seaside. David wanted to take the van just in case and I didn't object - if I'm not driving I can be knitting and I'll never say no to that! On the way out we stopped at Sauvie Island as a coworker had told me there's a lot of farms there. We stopped at a  large farm stand, the guy running it was very nice. We noticed a large pig laying under a tree, there was a young man running a hose on it, drenching it. The farmer said it had started eating the rotten apples last night - that will make them drunk.  He was keeping an eye on it til it woke up as he said he didn't want it to accidental wander into the road, but it was too big to move, so there it stayed, snoring away
We looked to see if there was any duck hunting places, boat launches, just doodled around.  Then we headed out to Hillsboro which wasn't too much farther. It is pretty big and much more built up than we had anticipated. It was more like a city! But one of the reasons it was a destination for me was Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, I have not been in those stores since I left Pennsylvania. There are certain things you can only get at those two stores so it was fun shopping there. I stocked up at both and then headed off to Old Navy to use my coupon. After that we headed to Costco - wow.  I mean seriously - Wow. It was early afternoon on a Friday and the parking lot was full, there was not one parking place, not one! And there was an overflow parking lot too - and it was full - and it wasn't even the weekend. Given how packed it was we decided to skip it, we could get what we needed at the local grocery. Back home we went but David only put "home" in the GPS and didn't check the route so we ended up driving through Portland - ugh!! 
I finished shopping this morning, we are having Kim and Stephen over for dinner - in honor of upcoming fall I'm making tofu-loaf for me and then decided on Roast Beef for them. I picked up rolls, broth, headed for the meat aisle - vegetarians seem to have problems identifying different meats. I asked the woman standing next to me but she took the fifth. I called Kim who had Steve google what a pot roast might look like. Apparently a good pot roast should have some good,visible connective tissue on top. Eeww. But I did find it and boy howdy was it expensive! I'll be cooking it very carefully!

No comments: