Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 9, 2019

Today Is Not Your Day.

So yesterday around dinner time the Secretary of the Water Association came by - yes, we have a water association. Around here it's common for a neighborhood to get their water from a natural spring or artisan well. The very upside is your water has no chemicals in it - it's so clear it puts bottled water to shame. It's pretty economic and it also limits the amount of houses they can build in an area. The downside was last night - the pipe had developed a major leak and they had patched it, but the repair would not be done til tomorrow. As a result the reservoir was down and the pump had lost it's prime, we were told we needed be very conservative and we might run out of water anyhow. This would have been better if I heard it before I decided to wash my car. And in hindsight we should have filled at least a couple of buckets and will be doing that in the future.  We tried to be Very Conservative but despite everything when I got up at 2am to pee - we had no water. In retrospect I panicked prematurely - I had us destitute by 3am since you cannot sell a house with no water, we went broke in my mind and I actually got up and took a shower at the gym at 4 am, unable to sleep. I was exhausted before the day started - and the water came back on at 6:30am. Apparently it is not a big deal. 

I had the yarn festival today in Long Beach which is why I wanted a shower - who wants to show up at the yarn show looking like a hot mess?  I  was looking forward to it because, well, yarn and because I enjoy exploring the area whenever I can. I met Kim and Stephen there, Kim does not like to drive over  the Astoria Bridge (AKA The Big Ass Bridge) - I find it thrilling - it's so stinking long, it just goes on and on and on. I stopped for coffee at a coffee stand, it was so good. It's probably good that I don't work there because I'd just shut the window and turn off the lights so I could drink it all myself. I digress. They held it in a hotel and it was.....ok. It's the first one ever so it was very small and most of it was roving, not really yarn. If we were spinners we would have been in heaven, but this?, not so much. We were in and out in under and hour and I bought nothing. Nada. Zippo. But we did get to got to Marsha's Free Museum and peep at Alligator Boy, so that was ok. On the way home I stopped at the beach and took pictures, by the side of the road, more than I 've taken in awhile. On the way home I went down a road I've been down and spotted a gravel road figuring it would take me closer to the water. Yeah, nope. 

At first it was fun, I love back roads and took a few pictures - according to my GPS the highway was right there so I wasn't worried. At first. But my GPS kept glitching, the road would be heading toward the main road and then would disappear. And there wasn't just one gravel road - there lots of them, splitting, winding up and down some were so covered with leaves it was hard to distinguish where the edge was. David called and was supportive but there was nothing he could do - I saw no one, no cars, no houses, no driveways, no paved roads. And of course the longer it goes on the more anxious you get and you're not sure if you passed that big stump on your way in - or you're driving in circles and you're just seeing it again. I finally saw another car and rolled down my window - are you lost too?  No, he smiled, just adventuring on the way home. Thank goodness for nice people and their moms! He waited for me to turn my car around and lead me out - there is no way  I could have done it myself, I was shocked at how far off course I had gotten. It took half an hour at least of winding roads, I had been heading completely the wrong way. When we got to the paved road he rolled down his window and and gave directions to the main and then thank goodness I recognized that building, that house, what  relief! The rest of the day has been uneventful, thank goodness! My feet are up and a movie from the 50's is playing, so glad to be home and at the end of this very long day. 

1 comment:

Donna. W said...

I am really enjoying your current adventures.