Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Things Are Moving Along

We went to the Buoy for lunch with Kim and Steve on Friday, that is my favorite place! They brew their own beer, the food is good but the best part is the glass inserts in the floor. You can see sea lions lounging on the decks they've installed under the floor, they're huge! I was going to take one home with me, but not sure where it will sit - I doubt Molly will be on board with sharing the couch. The geese have been flying back and forth all morning, we think maybe the leader is not sure where "south" is, because hundreds of them flap over to the mountain honking. Then 20 minutes later here they come again, flapping and honking back over the house - it will be spring before they figure it out! There are wood ducks, otters, nutria (water rats) in the sluice behind the house, horses across the way and a pack of cows across the road. There are raccoons sneaking about, stupid moles!, mallards, geese, coyotes.....you name it we got it. Molly and Reuben race around each morning since there's been foot traffic in the yard overnight, the garage still has no doors so that's a source of excitement every day. We're trying to get them to stop pointing the cows though.

And the weather. It rains constantly now - pretty much for the past two or three weeks. You get used to it. This coming week we're supposed to be getting inclement weather so that should be interesting. As I've talked about that before it's difficult to get an idea of how bad it gets as every one's idea of "bad weather" is very different. I hear it snows, then it's not the snow, it's the ice, it's the freezing rain, we get 2 inches at the most, then 5, it stays for a day, a week. Over all I'll just have to live through it I suppose and let you know. I found my winter coat and it's been hanging in the laundry room since November, I haven't had a chance to wear it yet. I don't know where my hat, gloves and scarf are, I have no boots. I do need some rain boots though I suppose. The yard continues to be a quagmire, it just never dries up. 

David continues to work on the house, the kitchen is about 80% done, he's installed most of the cabinets and the counters will be butcher block. He pried the floor tiles off the wall last week - they matched the backsplash to the floor down to the  oak inserts and all. It would have been fine since the floor is Spanish tile but they used the same size tiles instead of smaller ones - they're a foot across! It was like a backsplash the Flintstones would've had and been proud of. David got them all off in one piece so we now have replacement tiles for the ones that are broken so it all works out. I rearranged most of the stuff in the kitchen and got just about everything off the counter so I'm not shifting a load of stuff every time I need to cut up an onion and I can get to stuff. I hate that they make cabinets so deep, don't you? Half the time I don't even know what I have because I can't see it or if I need to use an appliance I have to pull out half the kitchen to get to it. Annoying! 

No comments: