Total Pageviews

Monday, June 8, 2020

A Week and A Day

One of my favorite quotes is by Sir WilliaM Scott:

 “The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon. But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died, what would become of me.”


I think that sums it up pretty nicely - it is nowhere as bad as it was the first few days after Molly died, that kind of grief can only hold you so long. I still have my crying spells - at night when I'm giving Rueben the nightly biscuit because that was Molly's absolute favorite part of the day. She would make us laugh because they had to go out first, when they came back in then the biscuit was hers -  she became the master of the Fake Pee just doing a loop and back at the door for us to send her back again for a REAL pee. But when she got her biscuit she would dance it into the living room and treasure every bite of it, she never got over the joy of recieving a gift every night. But it is getting better - for me. Rueben not so much. Vizslas are very social creatures and do better with a friend, we have only once had one dog for a period of time because it makes them very needy. Rueben spent a few days looking for Molly, he always races around in the morning but the past week seems to have a frantic edge to it. He stares out the window so quietly it's heartbreaking. The other day  I  had a forgotten to turn the volume off on my phone and a video came up with Molly barking - Rueben raced in with his tail wagging - I felt horrible. We have started taking him with us to help ease the transition. He was out last night and David will take him a couple of days a week when he can to work with him.

We went for dinner to Kim and Steve's last night and Rueben was invited along too - David was a little worried but Steve put the cats in thier room(they actually don't care but we didn't want to overwhelm Rueben) - and it was fine. He got to visit with his tiny friend Piggles and Kim made him a huge plate full of baked chicken breasts. We walked the neighborhood and all in all, he seemed to cheer up a bit. And yes, I know you're wondering - we will eventually get another dog. David needs to finish the project house first since someone will have to be around and I think we also need to give it some more time. I don't have a problem admitting this whole thing has knocked me on my ass - never in a million years could we have seen this coming . 

No comments: