Total Pageviews

Monday, April 11, 2022

Lights Out

Ugh. When I woke up I knew it was not time to get up, it  felt like almost but not quite - you know how you feel something is off but you're just not sure what it could be? It was chilly so I pulled up the blankets a bit then looked to see what time it was. Yup. Nothing. Nada. No faint glow of the clock, no blue light from the USB ports on the outlet. Our entire house has a faint blue glow to it at night - printer, Alexa, lap top, etc..... you get used to it, don't you?, so when the lights go out it's very noticible. I picked up my phone - 3;45am and it wasn't charging of course because we had no electricity. Hmm. There had been a weather advisory about snow, but I figured it was a bunch of hooey. (in my defense, it usually is). I looked out the window, Dammit!! I looked at the Clatskanie Community Board on FB which is where we get all of our info - and 2300 people were pioneering according the PUD. Dammit. 

We have a portable propane heater so David fired that up after snitching the tank off the BBQ - my poor hydroponic garden though was SOL for the morning. To keep the heat I had to shut off the sunroom where they live, poor Neo! I got the solar flashlight/chargers off the windowsill, they were fully charged and ready to go. We also have rechargable light bulbs - good for up to 3 hours. Those I love - you recharge them by just putting them in a lamp and turning it on for a couple of hours. In the video on YouTube they said you can also use them as regular lightbulbs so if the lights go out them lamp just stays on. But the electric doesn't go out that often and David uses them for other stuff. Since the propane tank was on the heater that meant no BBQ coffee - after living in PA and WV in which the lights go out a bit more often I'm pretty good at. David hooked up the generator and it ran enough for the coffee pot to make some busy noise,....then stopped. After  few more tries he gave it up, it was too cold to keep putzing with it.  By this time it was almost 7:30 and David said according the Community Board town had some lights. So he drove up and got us coffee, 



I got a text from work that the office was closed, the road was a mess and the bridge that connects Oregon to Washington was closed as it was a sheet of ice. No interet, but we actually have cell service here so I watched Victoria on my wee little screen. Victoria is a spanish soap opera that I watched years ago - got halfway through and they took it off! ARRGH. But it's back and I've been binge watching for an embarrassingly long time - there's almost 180 one hour episodes and I'm determined to finish it this time. David said he would like to hear the english language once in awhile but I'm 30 shows out and then I'm done so he'll just have to suck it up.  But I digress. The lights finally came back on close to noon so I didn't get as much done as I wanted but there's always tomorrow, isn't there? The temperatures are back up in the 40s and it looks likes its melted, hopefully we can get back to spring - I was really enjoying those 60 degree temps and I want them back!

 

No comments: