Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 3, 2015

How Can I Be Experiencing My Second Childhood? I'm Not Done With The First

-
 I've recently become obsessed with Bob's Burgers, a cartooon show that I  could watch all day. I love the cartoons for adults - I've watched Archer, Sea Lab 2000, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Moral Orel to name a few. And nothing makes me laugh harder. I have no idea why I find this stuff so funny, maybe it's because as a child of the 70s you never really get over the Saturday Morning cartoons. Remember that - we'd be up and ready by 7 am - parked in front of the tv for hours, never moving except to get up for another bowl of Cocoa Puffs.We'd lay on the couch and on the floor with pillows and blankets, getting dressed around noon when the last one was done.  I can still sing the theme song to H.R. Puffinstuff and was always on the fence about the Banana Splits, loved the New Zoo Revue and who did not love Scooby Doo? So now as an adult I have rediscovered my Saturday mornings, coffee instead of Booberries, nonfat cottage cheese instead of full on, whole milk.
 My down time is pretty much the same as when I was a kid really - I read like a fiend, always have and always will. Thank you mom for that one - best thing a parent can do is read to their kids and have stacks of reading material around. In our house it was not frowned upon to bring a book to the table and to this day I still love to read as I eat. My ebook makes it easier - I have a literal roomful of books in that thing, I am first and foremost the biggest science fiction fantasy fan EVER - followed by mysteries of the Sue Grafton type. My reading is all for fun if it's not for work, I love to lose myself in a book.  I play scrabble when I'm not reading, I love playing with strangers on line, what a challenge. I play about 10 or more games simutaneously so it's almost like actually playing a game. When we played years ago, we would play into the wee hours of the morning, cup after cup of tea. We had all sorts of rules - we had the Shopping For Words Rule in which you could only word shop as long as it took the other person to get back from the bathroom. You could use the blank over again if you had the matching letter to exchange it for, we were not playing competiton so why not? We would laugh ourselves silly over words, zaftig bint, pyx, stowp. We'd make the BM (Big Move) and someone would declare themselves the Grand Pobah (that only makes sense if you know what the Waterbuffalo Lodge is).
And of course there is the knitting, knitting and more knitting. I've been knitting since I was about 7 I think, learned from my Grandmother Carter in the traditional aluminum needle/acrylic yarn style. I would have the stitches so tight you could hear them squeak in distress. My scarves would start off tiny and by the end would balloon out into great acrylic sails. I knit off and on, but crocheted like it was going out of business, curtesy of my Grandmother Hendrickson.I made hats, toys, dolls, afgans by dozen. I even hoarded yarn back then, something I will most likely do until I die. We did tons of other stuff too -  I learned pot holder making from Mrs. Wourgola next door and of course Mod Podged everything with the Palominos. We all made candles and paper-mached balloons to make masks that smelled of wet newspapers and flour. I am soley a knitter now, but sometimes thnk of all that fun stuff we did - do kids still do that? Never mind. But my knitting is of course an intense hobby now, I have a room devoted to the craft and could stay there forever. As long as I had access to cartoons and my books of course!

No comments: