Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Haste Makes Waste

Years ago, when I was a teenager I bought a lot of my yarn out of the bargain bins - they were mill ends, odd colors, they were cheap because there was something wrong with them. I bought this great black yarn and was over visiting with my best friend Liz and her grandmother Bakeum while I struggled with this stupid yarn.  It had been super cheap because it was super tangled - SUPER tangled. ARRGH. After about an hour I was completely exasperated and announced it was going in the trash. Now. Bakum told me to keep working at it but it was useless I said and I was tossing it - good riddance.  Bakum told me if I was going to throw it out I could give it to her which I did in most likely a Very Dramatic and Exasperated ed Way. You know what happened, 
don't you?

The next time I saw Bakum she had my black yarn all neatly balled up and no, she didn't give it back - in her head that wold have been a useless thing to do since I would have learned nothing.. But she let me know she was keeping it because she had worked for it, I hadn't. Given the fact that the rule of grandmas is, well, grandma rules I had no recourse and in the grander scheme of things it made a big impression. So, when I went to roll this skein of beautiful, raw cotton yarn it tangled immediately into a huge snarl. David told me to throw it out but even to the this day, I cannot. It took a couple of hours but as you can see - success! And so glad I did, I'm making a few pumpkin hats and this is the perfect color for it. I'm taking a little break from shawl making. I went through my yarn the other day which is how I came across this little tangled gem.

So, I'm making my pumpkin hats, nothing says fall like that to me. Well, maybe pumpkin lattes do too. The weather is not as fallish as I'd like it to be, David asked if we could take the air conditioners out of the windows a couple of weeks ago and it was a big no! When September rolls around I think we all go into fall mode - the sage green table cloth replaces the sea blue one, we hunt down farm stands for the last of the summer vegetables, Halloween decorations start appearing. But reality? It's still 80 degrees, it'll be in the 90's at 30 more times before fall really hits. But the leaves are slowly starting to turn, my zucchini plants have stopped pumping out zucchini so it's definitely on it's way - just not fast enough. 

No comments: