Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 8, 2018

One zucchini, Two Zucchini,Three Zucchini Four

So. I tried container gardening this year, I had SEVEN large pots which I filled with Professional Dirt mixed with horse poo that I gathered from my own yard. I put them in a place which got sun, but not too much. I watered them carefully, removed and replanted when it looked too crowded, weeded when the weeds appeared - and got for my troubles TWO cherry tomatoes which are not quite ripe yet. The cantaloupes got to the size of baseballs and then gave up completely, leaving tiny and sad deflated fruit. The zucchini blossomed and that was it. But I had some zucchini  and tomato seeds left over and threw them in the old horse poo in front of the little horse barn we use to store the tractor. I did nothing to nurture these plants, nothing. No water, I only weeded enough so I could find them, they were in the sun all day. And they grew to heroic proportions. 
The leaves on these plants are a good foot across, the plants themselves are huge. And zucchini is still pumping out despite my having given away bags of it. The dogs are no help at all since when I'm over there looking for zucchini they are right there investigating. I have noted that if I say something like " Would you like a biscuit" or "dinner" both Molly and Reuben understand me perfectly. However, the phrase "Get your big fat dog feet off of my plants" they peer at me as if they can't understand where all that yelling is coming from. They are the most tiresome creatures I know some days. 

So far we've had zucchini noodles, zucchini fritters, stir fry zucchini and a very unsuccessful Zucchini Lasagna. I got the recipe off of Pinterest and here is something you should know - just because someone puts great pictures and a recipe on Pinterest does not mean they're a great cook, they just may be good at taking pictures of their suck ass recipe. The idea was you could slice the zucchini thin and use that instead of lasagna noodles - what the recipe did not tell you was due to the high water content is you'll be bailing it out more than a leaky rowboat. UGH. I left it out on the end table and when I came back Molly and Reuben were stealing it so I gave it to them. David said he didn't think that was much of a punishment but I replied 
Well, you haven't tried it yet.

I did find a way to freeze it though so I've been grating it up with my Kitchen aid attachment and freezing it so we can stop eating it three hundred different ways a week. The other benefit is if nuclear winter occurs we can sit and around and zucchini until we want to die.  Since I still have tons more I bought stuff to make zucchini bread because according to David EVERYONE likes zucchini bread which actually means David likes it but throws in the word "everyone" so I'll make it faster.  I did notice the tomato plants I have out in front of the little barn seem to be producing so that will at least break up the Zucchini Monotony. I hope. 

No comments: