Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 30, 2020

Internet Cooking.

Awhile ago, someone had posted a cauliflower recipe on my facebook page that looked delicious. You coated it with a yogurt based coating and then baked - low fat, low calories, healthy. So I made it - the outside was as promised - the rest? Have you ever eaten hot, baked plain caulflower? I would not recommend it, it has the texture of a plastic bag and tastes about the same. Just because it's a recipe someone posted does not make it good and had I looked at it a bit more I probably would not have made it and wasted all that time and effort. The upside of recipes on the internet is well, they're free, you can type in what you have on hand and you don't have to buy a full cookbook for a  recipe or two. When I page through my old cookbooks I can tell which recipes were made time and time again - the pages are splattered with old food stains, often the book will fall open to the page. I have some of own old books with the same few pages stained with batter and what not from the things I loved to make. 

My biggest issue with recipes on the web are it seems like the people posting them feel like it needs a novella before they get to the ingredient list. I've often been sifting through a huge amount of nonsense such as the history, when they thought of it, the different things they tried, how much thier inlaws like it, what they were doing when they thought of it, on and on! The other new things is to make a list describing what is in, why, what it looks like, ......and this is followed by a ten minute video of them adding and stirring the ingredients because obviously no one knows how to do this but them. I wanted to make a sugar free low carb cake this week and found one I really liked. It took me a while to actually find it way down at the bottom of an endless well of drivel........

But I did finally find it. it turned out better than I thought it would and a slice only had 16 carbs so win win! It ended up being worth that endless scrolling. 

 

No comments: