Total Pageviews

Monday, June 23, 2014

Look Ma No Hands

I am a "little" accident prone. Well, actually a lot. I have fallen on, off, down, into and out of multiple things, whacked myself in the head with a stick (don't ask) causing my forehead to swell, occasional bouts of profuse bleeding is not a cause for alarm. Recently I've been whacking my hands to no end for some reason. Not new of course - last year Reuben split the back of my hand open, I had to get shots of cortisone for the poison ivy that was so bad, I could not bend my fingers. Who knew that's what poison ivy looked like before it got big? This year, hmm, thorns from clearing brush and subsequent infections from not taking the time to clean them out. Then the surprise allergy to Bath and Bodyworks hand sanitizer causing my fingers to peel. This morning was a little over the top, even for me. I take a cup of coffee with me to drink at the office and since it's such a long drive I stick it in the microwave for two minutes, give it a stir and pop the cover on. By the time I get to work it's lukewarm the way I like it. This morning I was out playing with the dogs a little too long so I had to hurryhurry a bit. I put my coffee in the microwave - and I have no idea how this happened - I took it over to the sink so I could give it a stir and drop the spoon in the sink. Thank goodness for that little detail - I put the spoon in and the coffee came out like a volcano. It hissed and boiled up and over the side, it happened so fast! It poured over my hands before I knew what was happening but because I was standing at the sink I dropped it right away and threw the cold water on full blast and jammed both hands under. David was upset, but not freaking out - considering my track history it takes a lot to make him run. I had him go out and turn my car off, got a big bowl and filled it with a little ice and more cold water. After about ten minutes I stopped wanting to deglove myself, I think because I reacted so fast it was not anywhere near how bad it should have been. My right hand didn't get it as bad as my left so I drenched a towel in cold water, wrapped my hand and took off for work. I figured if it got worse I could find a place to get treated. By the time I got to work it was not too awful and I went out after our weekly meeting and got some lidocaine ointment. All in all, it not too terrible, a few tiny blisters here and there, my left hand is pretty scalded but no open areas. Why the coffee did that - I don't know. I think it might have been because I usually leave it in the microwave for a few minutes before stirring it normally instead of doing it right away. But I think tomorrow morning I'll be way more careful!

No comments: