Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 3, 2016

A Little Bit At A Time

I often wonder  how two people in their 50's with no one home but them and some pets can accumulate so much stuff. I've been cleaning out by sections when I get time, I cleaned out my old uniforms a few weeks ago and got a full bag to donate -I just hang on to them and some were sad and faded, others just never fit when I bought them.  I go through my clothes every couple of months, there's always something that can go. I went through the drawers in the living room and I got rid of two bags of DVDs, Cd's, books and a host of knitting magazines. You know , those magazines you collect and you think you'll read them again someday or they'll be worth money - but you never do and they never are. Today I did the kitchen cabinets - I threw out two garage bags of expired food, Things We Will Never Eat In A Million years and General Weird Stuff. The best thing I ever found was a can of grapefruit - who on earth would ever eat canned grapefruit?

When I'm doing these things I'm very grateful  for the fence David put up last year - the dogs have gotten used to it and when we're home - they are outside. Doing Mole Patrol, checking out the grape arbor for birds, chasing each other. David actually argued with me about putting it up but he's a big fan now, especially since in the morning all we have to d o is open the back door instead of having to go out with them.  I still walk them out in the woods at least once or twice a day, but for the rest of the weekend they're on their own for entertainment. 

So, anyway - I have been making progress. I considered trying to do it all at once, but it's too overwhelming, isn't it? It's not that we really have a lot of extra stuff, but you have to sift through it, keep or toss, keep or donate, on and on.  I sorted through all the cabinets and it's a bit more organized, I found there's things we like and I think we keep buying it because we don't realize we already have four of them in the back of the cabinet. I have tons of quinoa, orange ginger sauce, balsamic glaze, David has (4) containers of Miracle Whip, tons of peanut butter and 5 cans of canned chicken which he hates. So, the kitchen is organized, the basement will most likely be next but that will be in very, very, very small sections. 

No comments: