Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 5, 2017

Pro-Everyone

I'm getting so tired of hearing about LGBTQ rights that need to be stripped -why? The bible thumpers use the bible for some weird type of "proof" but as I've pointed out before if you're going to be claiming that, you need to follow all the rules - and there's a LOT of them. You might need to take notes. However, that is not what we are discussing today. We are discussing what happens when you raise children with other people. All other people. One of my best friends in high school was (and still is)gay as is my sister and her wife, along with many co-workers through out the years. Women are equal to men in every way, woman in my family always work and it's expected.  My brother is law is african american, my younger son's best friend growing up was straight off the boat from Columbia, etc, etc....they grew up in a household that tried hard - to be as nondiscriminatory as possible. I'm not saying a racial slur has never crossed my lips - you can't say that either - but it was not a part of our household. 

Being a racist can be hard work, how do you send your children out into the world with all those rules about who they can talk to and who they can't? I'm a supporter (obviously) of gay rights and I was asked in the past what if my kids were gay? David and I had that discussion years ago and you know what - we don't really care. If they grew up happy and healthy (they did) we were fine with it. So, they did grow up - and because of the way they were raised - you know what?

They love thier aunts - both my sister and her wife - very much. They have friends of all races and all orientations, they are quick to defend. They have both traveled the world and are better men for it. Thier circles  are wide because everyone is included - they do better socially and in the job market because they have no restrictions or preconcieved notions about how people are supposed to act related to culture. And this is the way it should be - society evolves constantly to better itself, doesn't it? Why do people need to be judged so harshly for thier very existance? Looking back I'm happy we did such a great job raising two wonderful boys into men and sometimes If I find it hilarious that I raised a pair of pagans that are better Christians than Christians!
One of my favorite quotes I think says it best- 

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" - Gandhi

No comments: