Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 18, 2019

A Breath Of Fresh Air

A few weeks ago before Kim came over I texted to let her know I was walking around the house with no shoes on. Bare feet to be exact, she cheerfully texted back  she couldn't wait to kick her shoes off. It was momentous. And today I mopped the floors and only changed the water three times - and it wasn't black! It hit me today our foreclosure is turning into a home, it was nothing earth shattering but.....taking a shower without worrying in the back of my mind that I might slide under the house if the floor actually does give way.  No longer having the Poo Alarm blaring at 2am, but hearing the quiet murmur of the automatic pump. The stove works, the fridge works, windows open and shut. Kim and I sat and chatted at the dining room table with no whiffy pee smells.
Home.

And it's to the point we're starting to think about what we want it to eventually look like. As I've said before this house had a major and expensive renovation in the 70's so is it dated - or is it retro? When I was a kid my mother had this set of decorating books that was printed in the 70's, I remember gloaming over them for hours, the orange shag rugs, yellow daisies, avocado green,harvest gold.  Foil wallpaper, space age decor, white bunk beds. We obviously can't go back in time, most of those furnishings don't exist anymore and even back then it was a bit much. But I think we are skirting the edges, the coffee table David picked up is not 70's but there are little echos of it - the heavy wood top, the wrought black iron legs.. So, I think that will be how I approach it - not full on back in time, but little touches here and there so it looks, so it looks right. 

It's gotten to the point of being fun and enjoyable. Kim and Steve came over today so we could go out for breakfast and then do some berry picking in the yard. They are rapidly ripening and in less than an hour the four of us picked about a couple of gallons at least. After we are past berry picking David is going to start ripping out a great deal of the vines. Here they're considered a bit of a weed  since they grow so fast and overwhelm so quickly. Kim's friend Meg is coming to visit her next week - when we bought the house Meg was here visiting and on the way to the airport they stopped by so she could see it. Kim said Meg was horrified and didn't think it was fixable, David and I are very interested in seeing what she thinks of us now. 

No comments: