Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 17, 2019

It's The Sailor's Life For Me

I had volunteered to help at the booth at the fair last week which had several benefits. I got to hang out with some of my new co-workers, I was at the fair and looked at all the livestock and so forth, I was out of the office and 
I got to ride the ferry near me finally!

On our list of Why We Moved Here living near the water was pretty far up there and being able to afford living near the water was right under it. Here there is not only an ocean but lakes, rivers, streams, ponds. There are ferries at certain points so you can get across without having to drive a bazillion miles to the bridges. Where the fair was held if I'd driven around it would have been 45 miles but using the ferry it was 13. But the real reason was, well, taking a ferry. To work. I looked it up online for the times but doing anything the first time, especially if you need to be somewhere is stressful. I left early so I would have time to look around too, the ferry is only 9 miles from my house and there were two vehicles in front of me. There was also a sign saying the bridge was closed. WHAT BRIDGE? So I got out of my car and spoke to the guy in front of me who told me the bridge was closed from 9 PM to 5am, not the other way around. He asked where I was going and I told him Scat-a-moose. He smiled and said Skamokawa?, then gave me directions, I thanked him and got back in the car.

When I was in my car I realized he smiled because Scat-a-moose is not a town but a line from the Bohemien Rhapsody by Queen ("Scatamoos,scatamoos can you do the fandango"). The ferry got there on time, was glad I knew it was cash only and enjoyed the 10 minute toodle across the river. I got there way early so I noted around Puget Island and Cathlemet, got coffee and headed to the fair. Yes, everyone knows everyone , lots of cowboy hats and boots. It was a small fair but fun. When I left I went straight back - the ferry runs on a hour schedule and if you miss it you're there til it comes back but I just made it with 3 minutes to spare, the afternoon is much busier so I was also the last car to fit on the boat - sometimes life does work out. I enjoyed the ride back and took pictures pf course, ferries are so much fun no matter how much you ride them and I weas so glad to finally have gotten on the one near my house. Another activity crossed off the list of things I want to do. 

No comments: