Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 10, 2019

The New Kid

A lot of people compare starting a new job to the first day of school - I beg to differ. Starting a new job is like starting school in February - everyone knows everyone else, they can find their locker, they have a group they sit with at lunch. Meanwhile you're trying to look like you know what you're doing and you seriously don't. The big advantage of taking an extended period of time off - well, aside from goofing off and driving out to see the World's Largest Egg - was I could be picky about where I wanted to work. And think about what I wanted to do with the sunset years (hopefully - I do not want to be one of those 86 year old people pretending I like working) of my career. One thing I did know was I did not want to go back to the hospitals or a facility, I did not want to be charge, I no longer want to do real hands on nursing - I've done my years in all of that and am past it. I did not want to wake up stressed out every day.

So I researched jobs before I applied - I looked at the reviews on Glassdoor, Indeed - that jettisoned about 70% of all the jobs offered. I applied for work from home insurance jobs and there are some, but they get snapped up inhouse before they hit the general public and then I'm sure there's about a bazillion applicants per job. Most of the time the Job Has Been Filled email hit my mailbox 5 minutes after I applied. But the job I found very intriguing - was for the Agency of Aging and Disability for a community nurse. The pay was a bit less, but - no holidays, no weekends, no nights, no hands on, local areas - I applied right away. And got  called right away.  And got the job!! So, what do I do? I help people arrange doctor's appointments, understand their medications, that they're safe, that they have the services they need. My job is to keep them out of the hospital, to work in the community - and so far, I love it!! 

And as far as the cut in pay? It's not really because it's a state job, I get so much time off I could have skipped around the building twice. After 5 years I get vested for retirement, my medical benefits are old school cover just about everything (I can't remember the last time I had a ten dollar co-pay!)  and both David and I are covered for medical, dental and vision for about $200 a month total - the deductible for BOTH of us is $1200! Given that I'm paying almost $700 less a month for insurance that kind of evens out the pay. My co-workers so far are lovely and really funny people. Getting used to the office however, has been a challenge. There are almost 50 people working in my office and we all have full cubicles so it's a warren of little cubbies. Navigating it took awhile, the first day I worked there I gave up on ever finding the bathroom and drove to Fred Myer's grocery store on my lunch break.  I could not find the break room to save my life, my document wouldn't print and after they gave me the number of the IT guy I found my phone didn't work. Forget people's names, every day it's a new face. But by Friday I was able to find both the break room and the bathroom, the IT guy came and fixed my phone and computer, I got my desk organized and  I recognized at least six people, it's a work in progress, but it's coming along.  And so far, so good!!

No comments: