Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Stand On Your Own Two Feet


I've been noticing a lot of these memes lately, directed at young women in which fathers threaten to shoot anyone wanting to date thier daughters - mothers hoping these girls will know how smart, beautiful, worthwhile they are - please stop. Everytime women take one step foward there's a legion wanting to drag us ten steps back. Think of this - would you post this about your sons? I see nothing assuring boys that they are good looking, that they're smart, that they should never let a woman not treat them well - nothing threatenting anyone that might "mess" with their boys -after all I suppose boys are too smart for that.
Everytime you post something like this you're announcing to the world your daughter is too stupid to take care of herself, to know her self worth and that she will hopefully be good looking enough to survive in this world. It's nonsense. I come from a long line of strong, powerful women - they were knocking em dead before it was acceptable. My one grandmother was a riveter during the war, she could brawl with the best of them. My greatgrandmother ran a boarding house, my grandmother ran a lumberyard, my mother was a nurse - my great aunt was an accountant - as is my cousin, I could go on and on. We did not have any namby pampy simpering good wishes from anyone - we KNOW we're strong and what we're worth. We can survive quite easily on our own. It never occured to me at anytime I would not be independent - I've been married for almost 35 years and it's an equal partnership, no one is the boss. 


So the next time you're tempted to post something like this - please read it first. Ask yourself - am I really raising an idiot? 

I wouldn't say I'm a feminist, but I don't like girls pretending to be stupid because it's easier
. Amy Winehouse

No comments: