Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 21, 2019

The Trouble with Dogs.

So, this morning I was reading a book that the main character was a dog - a great Dane to be exact. It was exceedingly well written and the dog dies peacefully, in his sleep of old age - in three sentences. And yet I am a blubbering mess, mourning this fictional dog in the early hours, I think every dog owner can relate. It's funny how my relationship with our dogs has changed as I've gotten older, we had dogs from the day we moved in together to now, but it was different. Our  earlier dogs ate leftovers, we just let them out in the morning banking on them coming back, we took them to the vet of course but we didn't worry.  And when things happened - we had one dog eat fishing line, another had an anaphylactic reaction to a bee, one drank anti-freeze - we just handled it(FYI everyone survived)

But now? Part of me thinks it's because it's just me and David - the dogs ARE family now. When they go out in the field we go with them, I bring a book with me and I sit on logs while they investigate. They for years they only eaten the best food recommended by the vet(no people food!), anything happens we bring them in to be seen - years ago we would call and the vet would fix it over the phone. We worry - what is that? Why is he limping? Does she look alright? And now they are heading to the latter part of their lives - they are large dogs so 10 to 12 is the average. Reuben's muzzle is turning white, Molly is getting a bit lumpy, they're starting to slow - they still bounce but not as high. We have started to relax the rules - they get pizza on Pizza Friday, cheese just because, not a lot but enough to keep it interesting. 

I'm always amazed when people abandon a family pet when it gets old, to me that's just one more phase I love. Yes, they get slower, thinner, their sight starts to dim and they are no longer muscular giants - but they also get calmer, cuddlier, quietly enjoying your company. Walks are slow, no longer the frantic racing, but we walk along  quiet companionship.  They happily enjoy the snacks you give them, this morning both Molly and Reuben sat in the kitchen, tails ablur waiting for their Easter eggs. They are becoming senior dogs along with us becoming seniors too.  Sometimes it makes me a bit sad, but this is just a part of life, isn't it? And right now they are both so enjoyable, silly dogs and will remain so for a long time coming. 

No comments: