Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 6, 2019

How's The Weather?

The weather here was a bit of a surprise to us. Not that we didn't know that it would be different, our daughter in law has told us that it tends to remain cooler and that shorts are not a big thing here.  Not to mention the numerous trips out to visit, but it's one thing to be here a week, another to simply be here.  The first two days we arrived it was HOT, Pennsylvania Hot and we were very disconcerted. We'd been told by everyone that lives here there was no need for airconditioning and here we were sweltering to pieces. David went out that day and bought an air conditioner for the bedroom so we would at least have one room we could be comfortable in. And that was the last time it has been turned on. My summer clothes are liberally mixed with my fall clothes at this point, I cannot imagine walking around in shorts. Sometimes in the afternoon it approaches Sort Of Warmish-Hottish but for the most part it's very enjoyable.

It's almost like spring-like weather for most of the year, we've been told there's some snow but not a lot of it. At night the temperature drops down to the 50's so a blanket is required and we need to remember to shut the windows! We've gotten up a few morning and it's really cold in here. The rain they talk about is not as bad as I thought it was going to be, it does rain but it's less than it does in Pennsylvania.  David is going to have a furnace put in, right now this house has what's called Cadet heaters - they are weird little things! They don't use propane out here so each room as this - this thing that looks like a little electric heater stuck in the wall. Most of the ones here work which we were pretty surprised by and as David grumbles there isn't one in the bathroom so that's on the list. As far as swimming goes I've been told that people do go swimming but I have yet to see anyone doing it. August is supposed to be warmer so maybe that's where they go. I was thinking maybe I'd go later in the summer to Jones Beach which is on the Columbia river but I need to ask around, I'm worried about the current in the river and again, I didn't see anyone swimming in it. 

I'm still exploring the area, next week I plan on finding some parks to take Molly to - we could walk up and down our road I suppose but that's not a whole lot of fun. I'm not planning on going back to work for a few more weeks, usually I'm back to work within a couple of weeks but this move has been a bit different. I'm totally out of my element, the west coast is much more different than I had expected. We're ok financially, I'm going to doodling around to what's out there. I did discover I live only ONE HOUR from the World's Largest Egg so that might be a drive next week, there's a japanese garden to see, a few mountains, little parks all over but I'm not sure if there will be trails or us or not. David and I stopped at one yesterday - you could see forever. And the eagles - they're all over the place. I try not to get too excited but end up yelling There's An Eagle like I'm the only one that can identify one. I'll get over it.

No comments: