Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Bayada

Years ago I left Stonybrook University Hospital for a hospital closer to home, my clinician called the DON up to talk me into staying. But instead of lecturing, she gave me a big hug and told me to go - because she said you'll never be happy until you see for yourself how spoiled you are here. She told me she'd see me in orientation in a few months and had some cake a few days later at my going away party. Two things happened - I did go away. And then when I came back and was sitting in orientation 3 months later to start on the surgical trauma step down floor she smiled at me and waved when we passed in the hall  - and I stayed there until I left Long Island. It has been the same with Bayada - I left because I moved, lived too far etc, etc.. - but I found a way back.
When I came back to Bayada and interviewed, the first thing the director did was pushed a copy of a Goggle map over to me - did I know how far I lived from the office? Yep, I did and despite his misgivings of how long I'd last with my 64 mile each way hike to the office he hired me. It has not always been easy, there are days when I get into my car tired before I even turn the key, coming home way past everyone else because not only was it a long day, but I had an hour and forty minute ride after. Why do I drive? Because I've worked in jobs close by that I hated and let me tell you, even if it was only ten minutes away if you hate what you're doing it is the longest ten minutes you'll have. But I've hung in there for over four years and on Monday I will be starting at the new Only Twenty Eight Miles Away Office!! Forty minutes, I feel like I could walk there. And has all this driving been worth getting to this moment?Yep.

Because Bayada does spoil us - I do get overwhelmed but there's always someone ready to step in and help. Today I helped out one of my co-workers, but you don't even think about it because that's what we do - and when I need help I know it will be there.. I've never been left stranded or to muddle it out on my own, I've called a coworker at 10 o'clock at night because I don't know what to do - and help comes. Our director supports and backs our decisions, even if sometimes it makes our families mad at us, as long as we have the client's best interests we are told to do what right - not what's financially right. We're respected - for nurses week we got a catered lunch and Michael Kors purse, the field staff gets a nice gift too. I'm not saying it's all roses - sometimes you end up with way too much to do, the phone is ringing, someone is complaining, on and on.  We don't always get along and grousing is occasionally heard, but it's never out of control. They pay you well, you work for it of course but when I left my last agency and came to Bayada, I instantly made $15,000 more a year - for doing probably half the work. They don't overload you with clients so you can do a good job - this is the only agency that if you ask to take half a day to help a client's family out, they tell you to go ahead - they really do put the clients first and it shows in everything we do. Happy Nurse's Week Bayada, and thanks for being such a great company!

No comments: