Total Pageviews

Monday, May 28, 2018

Melting

If you ask me if I have air conditioning, the technical answer is yes. The unit is sitting right next to the heater in the basement waiting to be installed. The actual is answer is we have fans and one very tiny window unit that is in the bedroom we're using. And that's where you'll find everyone most days, I've taken to eating dinner sitting in bed surrounded by the Zoo. David has it worse of course - he's putting in overtime at the flip house most days trying to get it finished enough to show by Mid- June. He has one fan but I'm sure most days that does little more than move the hot air around. The rain has added to the heat and humidity, it's like living in the jungle lately. I don't even worry about the dogs running off - they'd pass out before they even got down the road.

We were out in the wooded pasture around lunchtime, every time we go out I returned drenched - thank goodness for my play clothes! I bought a few light short dresses which keep the heat to a low roar. And yes, David could take a few days to get the AC going, but we're currently residing in the Land Of The House Poor again, this is where we're reaching the end of project but have more money out than in. We're OK, but all the cash and energy has to go to the flip house, everything else is in a state of stasis. The mornings are not  bad at all really, but between four and seven at night it is hellishly hot around here. It's funny how just about everyone in my age group grew up without airconditioning - we slept upstairs with the windows open and a window fan running all night. I can remember the heat being oppressive - our friends next door lived in a house that they'd built using what should have been attic space as bedrooms, the temperature soared in June to the point of ungodly! But we survived and really, we didn't know any different. We didn't miss airconditioning because at that time it didn't really exist. We made due and survived. And this is not my first rodeo or my first summer without airconditioning - but make no mistake I will be weeping with joy the day it's hooked up. 

No comments: