Total Pageviews

Friday, May 4, 2018

Cibophobia

Did you look up what that meant? Are you going to - or are you going to wait until I tell you what it means? Ok, ok! It means "the fear of food", a strange topic since most of my recent posts are my laminations that I cannot lose weight. But I am afraid of some foods that are currently lurking around my house inspiring guilt, fear and a sense of duty. Because like most people I'll see  a  food I haven't tried before and somehow think I will like it. Sometimes I do - I tried taro root years ago and if you see it, you do not want it. It's a brown hairy looking thing, misshapen and hard. BUT when you peel off the skin and cook it, it tastes so good you can eat it all day. And sometimes I do. Lotus root on the other hand is very pretty - but tastes just like what I imagine a wet sock might taste like.

I bought a dragon fruit once - it was so lovely I took about 40 pictures of it, then cut it open and took a lot more. The outside is pink and covered with hard leaves, the inside a creamy white with wee little black seeds. Eating it - hmm. if you could turn Styrofoam into a liquid that would be the flavor. Don't let me stop you from trying this stuff though - like taro root it only tastes good if you know how to cook it. And it doesn't hurt you to try something new - maybe gross you out, but it won't hurt you. And sometimes playing with your food will lead you to something really great. I accidentally discovered if you take silken tofu (1 box) and whip it, then add sugar free, fat free chocolate pudding you end up with something that tastes EXACTLY like chocolate mousse - but with an eighth of the calories and 5 minutes prep time. Hmm. Go ahead try it - I am so not lying. 

Currently the two untried but fear mongering foods in my home are - Jack fruit shredded and packed in BBQ sauce and artichoke hearts in water. The jackfruit comes from Trader Joes and if you saw the snappy packaging you would have bought it too. It has a picture of a man with a handlebar moustache and big,oldfashioned lettering - it looks very Delicious until you actually SEE a jack fruit in person. It's a very yellow large and weird looking affair. So I've made the executive decision to leave it in the bottom of the fridge until the expiration date goes by. Then I can toss it without offending anyone. The artichoke hearts are in a can - what was I thinking!! so I'll have to hang on to them for at least two more years. Every time I open the cabinet there they are. Bastards.

No comments: