Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Bagged My First Deer - Well, Actually I Bonked It.

Old picture of Pearl - David is holding her favorite toy, an old horse rope she had found
 I was on time for my visits yesterday - one of the problems of getting back into the swing of things is being able to schedule  all my visits so I have enough time to get from Point A to Point B without losing my mind. One patient was far but I timed it right, well until the deer and I had a cosmic run in. I was calling a doctor and the reception was in and out - so I decided to drive closer to town and went not an eighth of a mile when two deer jumped out of the woods right in front of my car. Thank goodness I wasn't going that fast and managed to stomp the brakes but one bounced off my grill and then fell over the guard rail - I have no idea where the other one went. I put my flashers on and drive to where I could pull over - it really scared me. My car was fine - aside from tufts of fur sticking out of the grill there was no damage. I drove back but there was no sign of the deer at all - I was fine too so I drove back near town and pulled over again to make phone calls. One to the doctor to report the lab results, one to the office and then the last of my patients to let them know why I would be late. It certainly livened up the visits, especially the one where everyone was hanging in the garage and came over to give my car a look see and then I had to give an account of Current Events before going in  to see the patient.  In other news my hand is recovering from the incident at the vet's last Saturday when Reuben split my hand open. I've had it covered and butterflied since and today it looks like the edges have healed together. I'll probably keep it covered for a few more days to make sure it's healed and not going to reopen - but I'm pleased it healed so well. David is back from Ray's, they had a great time of course. Ray has decided to get  a new car so they shopped for that, a new air conditioner and a new TV that David hooked up before he left. Ray found some old pictures he'd taken of Pearl from when we lived in Maidsville, we still miss her greatly, there is a picture of David holding that silly rope she loved. She would toss her head so it looped over her nose and run around the yard like that - you could throw it a million times and she would race for it every time. I love both Molly and Reuben to pieces and I know someday we'll say good bye to the too, but Pearl I have to say, was the hardest of all to lose. And speaking of Molly and Reuben they have both been bad with the running off. Part of the problem is the giant dead deer in the ditch - it's siren song of Stinkiness is too much to resist and once they're in the front yard it's a free for all. So we will be going back to the electric collar for now. Socks are progressing in knitting news, I am getting ready to turn the heels and I'll let you know how it goes. Not a huge fan of the magic loop so far. It's OK but I am missing my DPNs really. 

No comments: