Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Just Finish It!

One of the most dreaded objects in the knitting universe is a UFO (Un-Finished Object). That's when you start a shawl, then get side tracked by a sock, you start another shawl and then are hunting around the house for enough yarn to make a sweater because you have the knitting retreat coming up next week in which the whole weekend pretty much revolves around making a sweater with set in sleeves. And then you have google What Are Set In Sleeves and then start rooting around again in both the basement and the internet because you're not quite sure if you have a pattern for that. You have a pattern for every other frigging thing in the universe, don't you? But not a sweater. Or you DID find a pattern but now the yarn you found there isn't enough of. Drinking only complicates matters and it is also how you end up with neon pink yarn so don't even go there. 

This morning I dug out all the unfinished projects just to get an idea of what needs to be finished - especially since I'll be adding a sweater to not be finished next week. I have 4 knitting bags going so now I'll have to find a 5th one to house the sweater I have no yarn or pattern for. The top two pictures are of the never ending Day Lily shawl - that got away  from me and is currently completely out of control. That picture is BEFORE I block it so you can figure it will be at least a third bigger than it is now. I have no choice but to finish it out since only have about 8 inches of border left. The good thing is once it's blocked the pattern will be amazing and I can use it for a table cloth for  a round table - it's made of mercanized cotton (from Peru if anyone is interested) and with a white cloth under it will look beautiful.

Then I have the two started shawls from the knitting classes. I had the finished projects done, but needed started for demonstration purposes. The Girasole is only on it's first pattern round so I could actually just pull it out - but I love this color and the pattern so it can hang out for awhile until I finish the Day Lily - which I will finish even if I die in the process. which I might. You know some people when you talk about dying are always like How Can You Say That, but all I can think is how can you not? Do you really think it's not ever going to happen to you? And I will tell you there have been days in the past few months if I dropped dead on the spot I would not have objected  - I'll hold the barrel steady for you. 

This is the almost done Easy Peasy Shawl 2.0 which I am using for the knitting group - one thing you learn about joining a group is not to bring anything more complicated than this. Everyone starts talking and it's impossible to count a row, especially with lacework so we all have our "group" projects to take for knit nights, we bring in anything complicated we need advice on or if it's done to show it off. 

This sock! This green sock! I think I started it on my way back from Seattle - it's just a plain green sock which is perfect for travel. Socks are complicated enough to be interesting, but not so complicated that you can't put them down when you need to. I'll probably finish the heel at home after I'm done with the Day Lily and then use that for knitting group once I'm done with the other shawl. So, now I have them all sussed out - I just need to find time to finish them. 

No comments: