Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Their Heads Are Made Out Of Rubber, Their Bottoms Are Made Out Of Springs

Having three dogs in the house that bear a striking resemblance to each other is a bit unnerving at times - I was petting Pearl and she was leaning, then I realized it was Gypsy and Pearl was downstairs. They play hard - since they're all the same breed it's a very equal playing field but it's fun to watch as they play and run at top speed at all times. All of the guests, canine and human left this morning - after Tommy got the truck packed and the two dogs in their crates Pearl The Traitor jumped in the cab of the truck and wouldn't come out. She was going home I think - or at least trying. They didn't do too well hunting but I think the next time Tommy comes if he arrives early in the season he should do well. But we all had a good time and I know David enjoyed seeing him and getting to hang out with a real friend. Someone said to me today that you can have acquaintances and people you know, but a real friend is hard to come by. She was right - if I think of who I consider a real friend they're all the people I've known for ever. When you graduate school it becomes very hard to find someone you can have that same level of trust and comfort with. Maybe as you become an adult and you become busier you just don't have the time to cultivate that type of friend. When I met Kim, Liz and Richard I remember spending hours and days in their company - if we weren't in each other's sight we were on the phone. We walked to town together, the beach, parties, slept over each other's houses in rotation, we were constantly in the company of each other in various and all configurations. If you really think about it our friendship has a massive base that you cannot duplicate - it's what gives us that comfortable feeling with each other, defenses down, no holds barred. Because I know even if they say something I don't like - the intent is not to hurt me or get me back for some real or imagined insult. Sometimes they've said things simply because they thought I needed to hear it - and I did. It makes me sad as an adult that I've been unable to find that kind of friend here - but maybe that's the way it is in real life. And maybe I don't need to - they are all still just a phone call or car ride away - can't ask for more than that.

No comments: