Total Pageviews

Monday, June 10, 2019

Day Four and Counting



So, we are on Day Four, landing in Ogden Utah. We were going to try and do the whole she-bang in 4 days but it is just not worth the stress. This morning I had figured out an 8 hour drive which even with stops would be about 9 hours or a bit more. We did not leave at the crack of dawn, no one was motivated this morning and it was fun to stay long enough to have breakfast at the hotel. We have been doing Best Western for the remainder of the trip. The downside is the expense of course, but the upside is the lack of scary characters. It's hard to make reservations blind - I do as much research as I can but until you get there it's hard to figure out. I do go a lot by reviews and what people say - I'll discount the ones that whine about no conditioner or the person at the desk was not what they expected. The ones that talk about mold and the broken lock on the door THAT I pay attention to! But I'm too tired to spend the time so BW it is. Anyhoo, back to the drive....

So we left after 8, the drive is a straight shot - the route I've mapped is all highway and all the places we stay are right off the road. We were doing excellent...and then a dead stop. And not just a dead stop, turn your engine off and roll down the windows stop. We sat for so long I took Molly and Reuben for a long walk on the side of the road, the weather was very nice today. People smiled at them and asked what they were, it did help pass the time. The big hold up was an 18 wheeler flipped  on it 's side - no one was hurt but it held up traffic for miles! We went about 10 more miles and then hit construction which should have not been bad for a Sunday but everyone  was already piled up. It ended up taking an extra hour and a half, but still the driving was not like the other day. David has done all the driving because he doesn't trust anyone else to do it. 

So it ended up adding an extra hour and a half, but we arrived around 6 to the hotel and got everyone settled again. They're all getting used to it and once we have them in the room they go about their business, Bob bounces around the room and explores, the dogs flop on the bed and stretch out. This place has a restaurant on premises which really helped, I did have to laugh when ordering the takeout. We had wanted beer with dinner and the girl on the phone said we aren't allowed.... then I remembered I was in Utah which is a dry state. The only place you can get alcohol is a State Store as opposed to WV and PA where you can get all the scotch you can carry at the gas station. It was fine, I started making reservations at a Econolodge since I didn't see a Best Western listed, the woman put me on hold for +10 minutes twice, then couldn't get her computer to work, can I call you back? I looked again and the next town up had a Best Western which I called and booked. Ready for day 5!

2 comments:

Donna. W said...

You are like pioneers heading west with your livestock! Just imagine traveling all that way in a covered wagon, worrying about savage Indians scalping you.

Julia E Lester said...

We were talking about that, it seemed to take forever driving -we couldn't imagine. And it wasn't only the wagons, there weren't any roads, just trails.